We have been fighting for this for over three years. We have a real chance to beat the Conservatives, so let’s grab it with both hands.
First published in November 2019.
As you may have noticed I have been banging on about tactical voting for ̷y̷e̷a̷r̷s̷ ̷m̷o̷n̷t̷h̷s̷ ̷w̷e̷e̷k̷s̷ ̷ days now. The reason I started was because of all the bad takes I was seeing. I am still going because I keep seeing bad takes and this is too important to ignore them.
These are a few of the bad takes I have seen:
Please follow the advice of those who know what they are talking about. That is what I am doing.
It is fine for everyone to suddenly become expert football managers during the world cup, but this is, believe it or not, more important.
At the moment, I would personally rather not vote for the Lib Dems (sorry, put off by recent Twitter experience). But don’t panic, I don’t get a vote. [Note of the Editor: Nicola lives in the EU27.] If I did, I would still vote for them if that were the expert recommendation. I would vote for the candidate most likely to beat the Conservatives/Brexit Party.
The aim of tactical voting is to get the Tories out. That doesn’t automatically solve all our problems, but it gets us a whole lot closer than we are now. It is also our only option.
People often ask me what more they can be doing. Well, now there’s loads you can do:
● get people to register to vote;
● encourage people to accept the idea of voting tactically;
● don’t retweet or encourage bad takes;
● focus on the future goal and not the past;
● stop getting into tribal discussions with people we need to cooperate with;
● please dial back the insults and slurs. Let’s set the tone of the debate that we would like to see from our MPs;
● find out how you can help in real life;
● PLEASE don’t ask me about the specific voting advice in your constituency. That’s not my department.
We have been fighting for this for over three years. We have a real chance, so let’s grab it with both hands. We can’t change the past, but we can change the future.
The key is to look at the tactical voting advice nearer to polling day. You never know, you may get to vote for someone else.🔷
Share this article now: