When the UK Government’s level of incompetence is competing with its US counterpart during the coronavirus crisis.
First published in May 2020.
The week in Tory...
1. Accidentally made it illegal to drive to Wales.
2. Made it easier to see other people’s parents than your own.
3. Issued new advice that was officially ignored by Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the councils of Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle.
4. Admitted there WOULD be a border down the Irish Sea, after a year claiming there wouldn’t.
5. Said it is OK for a child-minder to come into contact with your kids, as long as you “open a window”.
6. Published advice that you can car-share, as long as the driver “doesn’t look left”.
7. Announced £2bn investment, so we could use public transport again.
8. Told us it is our “civic duty” to avoid using public transport.
9. Announced the PM would make a speech on Sunday, because it had to be implemented on Monday.
10. Then, when challenged, said they meant Wednesday.
11. Then said we must go to work.
12. Then said we must not travel to work.
13. Then said it was all explained in the published guidelines.
14. Then had it pointed out to them in Parliament that they had not published guidelines.
15. Blamed the public for not understanding the new rules.
16. Then went on TV to explain the rules, got them wrong, and had to be corrected by Piers Morgan.
17. Then went to parliament to explain the rules, STILL got them wrong, and had to be corrected by the opposition.
18. Said we should wear facemasks.
19. Then said we shouldn’t wear facemasks.
20. Then said – again – we should wear facemasks.
21. Clapped for NHS workers.
22. Then introduced a 55% increase in the fee foreign staff pay to work for the NHS.
23. Announced quarantine for new arrivals, a mere 73 days after being officially advised to quarantine new arrivals.
24. Announced they had “only just started” recruiting people to do track and trace, a mere 110 days after being officially advised to urgently do track and trace.
25. Issued a plan to open schools, which teachers said was unsafe.
26. Then said doctors were brave, but teachers weren’t.
27. Then had to watch as doctors said the teachers were right, and it wasn’t safe to open schools.
28. Then announced tests for kids but not for teachers.
29. Then had to have it explained on live TV that infected teachers can still infect kids.
30. Scored 0% in a French poll of which government was doing best for its people.
31. Dropped 45 net approval points in UK opinion polling.🔷