Latest government data reports 52,618 new coronavirus infections in the UK and tragically 1,162 deaths in the last 24 hours, Dr Joe Pajak writes.
First published in January 2021.
Today’s Data in Focus
Today’s data indicates the stark fact that 4,996 people have lost their lives in the last 7 days in the UK. While since Christmas Day there have been 8,872 COVID-19 deaths and 699,992 new cases of COVID-19 reported in the UK.
Note: The data for deaths attributed to COVID-19 – each following a reported positive test result for COVID-19 within 28 days of their death.
The impact of the restrictions, and behaviours, over the Christmas and New Year period, are clearly beginning to have a noticeable impact on hospital admissions and those requiring intensive care support.
14-day UK and 14-day England data charts are provided below for comparison:
United Kingdom COVID-19 data, reported on 07 January 2021:
- 52,618 positive tests in last 24 hours
- 1,162 COVID-19 deaths in last 24 hours
- 3,600 further hospital admissions
- 30,370 hospital in-patients
- 2,821 patients on ventilation beds
- 343 days since first reported case
- 307 days since first reported death
- 1,296,432 people received first vaccinations (cumulative weekend 03/01/2021)
Sadly, nothing festive about the post-Christmas data.
Since Christmas Day 14 days:
- 699,992 new cases 🦠
- 8,872 further deaths
Since New Year’s Eve 7 days:
- 400,640 new cases 🦠
- 4,996 further deaths
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
Dr Joe Pajak, Professional experience applied scientific research and development, then director of a national children’s charity, trustee of a disability charity, and governor of NHS foundation trust hospitals.