As the world marks 2 million coronavirus deaths, the latest UK data report 1.09 million new cases and a further 17,046 deaths in the UK since Boxing Day, and sadly another 1,280 deaths in the last 24 hours, Dr Joe Pajak writes.
First published in January 2021.
Today’s Data in Focus
13,127 people have lost their lives in the last 14 days.
Finally, 773,955 new cases have been reported in the last 14 days.
Note: The data for deaths attributed to COVID-19 – each following a reported positive test result for COVID-19 within 28 days of their death.
Latest health care data indicate new worrying levels with 37,282 patients suffering from Covid-19 are currently occupying hospital beds (as of 13 January), 3,672 patients requiring intensive care support (as of 14 January), while 4,262 patients were admitted on 11 January (latest UK-wide data available).
In this afternoon’s press briefing from 10 Downing Street, Professor Chris Whitty said that the number of people with COVID-19 in hospital has “well exceeded” last April’s peak and that numbers will probably continue to rise “into next week”.
The chart below illustrates the trend in the UK data, and worryingly most aspects are still rising which supports his assessment. The number of infections may be reaching a ‘peak’ but the situation is on a knife-edge and could change very rapidly.
Downing Street Briefing. | Number 10
The Full Data
The 14-day UK data chart is provided below.
UK COVID-19 data, reported on 15 January 2021:
- 55,761 positive tests in last 24 hours 🦠
- 1,280 COVID-19 deaths in last 24 hours.
- 4,262 hospital admissions (latest date reported 11 January 2021)
- 37,282 hospital in-patients (to 13 January 2021) – the highest level at any time during the pandemic!
- 3,672 patients on ventilation beds (14 January 2021)
- 3,316,019 positive Covid-19 cases (since the first case was reported on 31 January 2020)
- 351 days since first reported case
- 315 days since first reported death
- 3,234,946 people have now received first vaccinations (cumulative reported 14/01/2021)
Since Boxing Day:
- 1,093,867 new cases 🦠
- 17,046 further deaths
The data continues to reach dreadful levels, and we must never forget the data represent real people suffering, real people dying, and a situation that many would argue is so much worse because of poor government decision-making and delayed action.🔷
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
Dr Joe Pajak, Professional experience applied scientific research and development, then director of a national children’s charity, trustee of a disability charity, and governor of NHS foundation trust hospitals.