As a further 1,725 lives were sadly lost to COVID-19 in the last 24 hours (8,597 in the past 7 days), 474,156 people have now fortunately completed their course of two doses of vaccine which will protect them from the virus, Dr Joe Pajak writes.
First published in January 2021.
Today’s Data in Focus
Back to today’s data, which indicates the awful reality that 1,725 people have died in the last 24 hours in the UK. This means that 17,120 people have now lost their lives in the last 14 days – the highest number in any 14-day period!
This ‘14-day deaths’ data is without doubt of some significance. As for the past 24 days (consecutively) this 14-day total number has risen! When this data begins to decrease consistently we may then have arrived at a vital turning point. Sadly, that moment hasn’t yet arrived.
503,483 new cases have been reported in the last 14 days.
Note: The data for deaths attributed to COVID-19 – each following a reported positive test result for COVID-19 within 28 days of their death.
Latest health care data indicate that 37,605 patients suffering from Covid-19 are currently occupying hospital beds (as of 25 January), and 3,961 patients are requiring intensive care support (as of 26 January) – these continue to be worryingly high.
The Full Data
The 14-day UK data chart is provided below.
UK COVID-19 data 🦠 reported on 27 January 2021:
(previous day’s figures and change in brackets)
- 25,308 (↗️ +5,219) positive tests in the last 24 hours
- 1,725 (↗️ +94) deaths in the last 24 hours
- 3,082 (↘️ -259) hospital admissions (latest date reported 23 Jan)
- 37,605 (↗️ +44) hospital in-patients (latest date reported 25 Jan)
- 3,961 (↘️ -71) patients on ventilation beds (latest date reported 26 Jan)
- 3,715,054 (↗️ +25,308) total positive cases (since the first case was reported on 31 Jan)
People vaccinated: (up to and including 26 January 2021)
- 💉 7,164,387 (↗️ +311,060) first dose vaccines
- 💉 474,156 (↗️ +1,710) second dose vaccines (fully vaccinated)
Estimated ®️ number: (as of 22 January 2021)
- 0.8 to 1, with a daily infection growth rate range of -4% to -1%
Last 28 days:
- 1,282,172 new cases 🦠
- 29,339 further deaths
- 363 days since the first reported case
- 327 days since the first reported death
The data continues to reach dreadful levels, and we must never forget the data represent real people suffering, real people dying.
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
- Vaccination Data | UK Government
Dr Joe Pajak, Professional experience applied scientific research and development, then director of a national children’s charity, trustee of a disability charity, and governor of NHS foundation trust hospitals.