As a further 1,239 lives were sadly lost to COVID-19 in the last 24 hours (8,546 in the past 7 days), 476,298 people have now fortunately completed their course of two doses of vaccine which will help protect them from the virus, Dr Joe Pajak writes.
First published in January 2021.
Fistly, let’s continue to celebrate the roll-out of the vaccines against Covid-19; in particular, 476,298 people who have now completed the full, recommended, course of two vaccinations against Covid-19.
Today’s Data in Focus
The ‘14-day deaths’ data is without doubt of some significance. However, today – for the first time in 25 days (consecutively) – the 14-day total number has dropped, albeit very, very slightly! Could this be the milestone we have been waiting for? Only time will tell.
483,481 new cases have been reported in the last 14 days.
Note: The data for deaths attributed to COVID-19 – each following a reported positive test result for COVID-19 within 28 days of their death.
Latest health care data indicate that 36,931 patients suffering from Covid-19 are currently occupying hospital beds (as of 26 January), and 3,937 patients are requiring intensive care support (as of 27 January) – still worryingly high.
The Full Data
The 14-day UK data chart is provided below.
UK COVID-19 data 🦠 reported on 28 January 2021:
(previous day’s figures and change in brackets)
- 28,680 (↗️ +3,372) positive tests in the last 24 hours
- 1,239 (↘️ -486) deaths in the last 24 hours
- 3,088 (↗️ +6) hospital admissions (latest date reported 24 Jan)
- 36,931 (↘️ -674) hospital in-patients (latest date reported 26 Jan)
- 3,937 (↘️ -24) patients on ventilation beds (latest date reported 27 Jan)
- 3,743,734 (↗️ +28,680) total positive cases (since the first case was reported on 31 Jan)
People vaccinated: (up to and including 26 January 2021)
- 💉 7,447,199 (↗️ +282,812) first dose vaccines
- 💉 476,298 (↗️ +2,142) second dose vaccines (fully vaccinated)
Estimated ®️ number: (as of 22 January 2021)
- 0.8 to 1, with a daily infection growth rate range of -4% to -1%
Last 28 days:
- 1,254,960 new cases 🦠
- 29,614 further deaths
- 364 days since the first reported case
- 328 days since the first reported death
These data, and trends, are shared to focus some light on the situation. We must never forget the data represent real people suffering, real people dying.
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
- Vaccination Data | UK Government
Dr Joe Pajak, Professional experience applied scientific research and development, then director of a national children’s charity, trustee of a disability charity, and governor of NHS foundation trust hospitals.