1 death* due to Covid-19 was reported in the last 24 hours in the UK, together with 1,649 new coronavirus infections. A total of 14,904 new cases in the past 7 days. All will be clearer – data-wise – tomorrow... hopefully, Dr Joe Pajak writes.
*Latest deaths data not available below UK level. (data.gov.uk)
First published in May 2021.
Today’s data in the UK indicate the sad fact that 1 death* has been reported in the last 24 hours due to Covid-19. Transmission of the virus continues to be at a high level with 1,649 new cases reported in the last 24 hours.
Note, however, that Public Health England was unable to provide an accurate figure for the number of deaths registered in the past 24 hours.
“Due to an issue with processing of deaths data today, the latest data other than the UK figure is not available. This will be updated in the next release.”
It is worth noting the average number of new coronavirus infections, and of deaths due to the virus, reported in the last 28 days of Covid-19 data: average (28-day) reported daily numbers of coronavirus infections (2,413) and the average (28-day) reported daily number of coronavirus deaths (24).
Latest health care data indicate that 1,451 patients suffering from Covid-19 are currently occupying hospital beds (as of 29 April), and 185 patients are requiring intensive care support (as of 30 April) – a continuing concern for our NHS.
Note: The data for deaths attributed to COVID-19 – each following a reported positive test result for COVID-19 within 28 days of their death.
The Full Data
UK COVID-19 data 🦠 reported on 3 May 2021:
(previous day’s figures and change in brackets)
- 1,649 positive tests in the last 24 hours (↘️ -22 on yesterday’s data)
- 160 hospital admissions as of 27 April (last data reported)
- 1,451 hospital in-patients as of 29 April (last data reported)
- 185 patients on ventilation beds as of 30 April (last data reported)
- 1* death in the last 24 hours (↘️ -13 on yesterday’s data)
“Latest deaths data not available below UK level. Due to an issue with processing of deaths data today, the latest data other than the UK figure is not available. This will be updated in the next release.” (Public Health England)
- 4,421,850 total positive cases since the first case was reported at the end of January 2020
- 127,539 total deaths – within 28 days of first positive test result (for COVID-19 reported up to 3 May 2021)
14-Day UK COVID-19 Data – Graph showing key data as trendlines as of 3 May 2021.
People vaccinated: (up to and including 2 May 2021)
- 💉34,588,600 first doses (↗️ +83,220)
📈 65.67% of UK adults (18+)
📈 51.78% of UK population
- 💉15,500,949 fully vaccinated (↗️ +171,332)
📈 29.43% of UK adults (18+)
📈 23.21% of UK population
Estimated ®️ number: (as of 30 April 2021)
- Latest R and growth rate for England
- Latest R range for England = 0.8 to 1.1
- Latest growth rate range for England = -4% to -1%
State of the UK epidemic:
To better understand the state of the epidemic in the UK, the UK government recommend “focusing on indicators for the 4 nations of the UK individually, rather than an average value across the UK.” Estimates of the R value and growth rate for different nations can be found via this link.
New infections and deaths in the last 28 days:
- 67,559 new cases in total 🦠
- 679 deaths in total
- 459 days since the first reported UK case
- 423 days since the first reported UK death
The total number of people whose death certificate mentioned Covid-19 as one of the causes: 151,243 – Registered up to Friday 16 April 2021.
These data, and trends, are shared to focus some light on the situation. We must never forget the data represent real people suffering, real people dying.
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
- Variants: distribution of cases data | Public Health England
- Vaccination Data | UK Government
- What’s new | UK Government
Date of change: 3 May
“Latest deaths data not available below UK level. Due to an issue with processing of deaths data today, the latest data other than the UK figure is not available. This will be updated in the next release.”
[Editor’s note: A previous version of this article showed a total of 15,319 new cases in the past 7 days. This has since been corrected with the exact figure: 14,904 new cases in the past 7 days.]
▫ Dr Joe Pajak, Professional experience applied scientific research and development, then director of a national children’s charity, trustee of a disability charity, and governor of an NHS foundation trust hospital.